The Zilker Hillside Theater
The Beverly S. Sheffield Zilker Hillside Theatre is a beloved outdoor theatrical venue, located in Zilker Park on the picturesque banks of Barton Springs. The Zilker Hillside Theater has been home to engaging events, shows, and concerts for over 50 years. The Hillside is host to many exciting annual events such as Shakespeare in the Park, Zilker Theatre Productions’ Summer Musical, and The South Asian New Year hosted by the Texas Bengali Cultural Alliance. For more information, please visit AustinTexas.gov.
Theater Information & Protocol
Zilker Theatre Productions and the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department (PARD) appreciate your compliance with the following rules. Please contact one of our volunteers at the Info Table when you get to The Hillside if you have any questions.
Download ZTP’s Hillside Tips Checklist!
- Please bring your own blankets. They may be put down on The Hillside at any time. However, please note that ZTP is not responsible for any lost or stolen items. (Note that plastic tarps are not allowed.)
- In order to make the most efficient use of The Hillside, we encourage you to place blankets as close together as possible. And please take up only as much room as you actually need! Austin in known for its friendliness so if you end up having space left over, consider offering to share your blanket with those in less fortunate viewing spots!
- Zilker Hillside Theater is wheel chair accessible. Accessible seating is located at the front of the stage. If you require access to this seating space, please see one of our front of house staff or COA staff members, and we will ensure your needs are accommodated.
- ZTP often needs to block off spaces for our donors and cast members’ families. Please respect these marked areas.
- Full-height lawn chairs are only allowed behind the low rock wall approximately 3/4 up the hill and along the walls at the top of The Hillside as they block the view of other patrons. Please be respectful of patrons on blankets when placing full height chairs.
- A clear walkway on the second level must be maintained at all times.
- Please be aware that strobe lighting is used in some ZTP presentations. Please contact us for strobe lighting information for a particular show.
Chairs Available For Rent
To make your audience experience more enjoyable, ZTP is happy to offer low profile (28″) stadium chairs for a donation of $5 per seat. These chairs can be placed anywhere on the hillside for the duration of our performance. Please look for our rental booth and bring a photo ID. Chairs are available while supplies last!
Pets are not allowed.* Due to the large number of people in close quarters, as well as distractions for your fellow play-goers and the actors, please leave your pets at home.
* Except service dogs
Food & Drinks
Feel free to bring a picnic basket and/or cooler. A variety of ice cold drinks and snacks can be purchased from ZTP’s Concession Stand. (Proceeds benefit the production.)
No smoking, alcohol or glass containers allowed in the park area by law.
Please help us keep The Hillside clean by putting your trash and recycling in the available containers – and packing as much out with you as you can.