The Beverly S. Sheffield Zilker Hillside Theater is an outdoor venue located in Zilker Park, across from Barton Springs Pool.
Theater Information & Protocol
Zilker Theatre Productions and the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department (PARD) appreciate your compliance with the following rules. Please contact one of our volunteers when you get to The Hillside if you have any questions.
- Blankets may be put down starting at 6 p.m. Unattended blankets placed prior to 6 p.m. will be lovingly folded by City employees and placed on the front wall for pick-up. Please also note that plastic tarps are no longer allowed.
- ADA compliant upgrades now allow for designated seating for audience members with special challenges. A portion of the first level will be clearly marked for these patrons. Also, ZTP often needs to block off spaces for our donors and cast members' families. Please respect these marked areas.
- Full-height lawn chairs are only allowed along the walls at the top of The Hillside as they block the view of other patrons. Low-height, low-backed "beach chairs" are allowed in the section behind the lighting poles on the second level. A clear walkway on the second level must be maintained at all times.
- In order to make the most efficient use of The Hillside, we encourage you to place blankets as close together as possible. And please take up only as much room as you actually need! Austin in known for it's friendliness so if you end up having space left over, consider offering to share your blanket with those in less fortunate viewing spots!
- Pets are not allowed! Due to the large number
of people in close quarters, as well as distractions
for your fellow play-goers and the actors, please leave your pets at home.
Food & Drinks
- Feel free to bring a picnic basket and/or cooler. A variety of drinks and snacks can also be purchased from
the theater's concession stand (proceeds benefiting the production).
- No glass containers are allowed.
- Smoking is not allowed in the seating area.
- Please help us keep the hillside clean by putting your trash in the available containers.
- See our Rain Policy for information on performances when unfavorable weather conditions are forecast.
- The City of Austin charges $5.00 per car for parking in Zilker Park.
Please don't try to barter or argue with the attendants at the entrance; they do not have the authority to waive the parking charge. They will direct you to the closest available parking area.
- A limited number of handicapped parking spaces are available in the lower parking lot near the stage - please ask at the entrance.
The entrance to Zilker Park is on Barton Springs Road, just east of MoPac and
about a half-mile west of Lamar Blvd. The Hillside Theater is across
from Barton Springs Pool.
You can use the interactive map on the right to create customized driving directions, or follow the general directions below.
- Via MoPac:
- Take MoPac (Loop 1) to the Rollingwood/2244 exit. If you're coming
from the north, make a U-turn under the freeway; from
the south, pass through the light and keep heading straight.
Follow the access road around the park to your right. The entrance
to parking will be on your right.
- Via I-35:
- Take the Riverside exit. Head west on Riverside towards
downtown. The first light past Congress Ave. is Barton Springs Rd.
Turn left and follow Barton Springs about 1.5 miles to Zilker
Park. The entrance to parking will be on your left.